My name is Jessica Bowers and I am the counselor at Barnes Elementary. I graduated from Texas A&M-Corpus Christi with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in Math in 1997. I am certified to teach Elementary Education for grades 1-8 and English as a Second Language in grades EC-4. I also graduated from Texas A&M- Corpus Christi with a Master of Science degree in 2003 and am certified by the State of Texas as a School Counselor for grades EC-12. I have 19 years of teaching experience and am enjoying my second year of counseling, helping to mold young minds at Ella Barnes Elementary.
The counseling program at Barnes Elementary provides students with small group opportunities, as well as classroom guidance and counseling, to support the students’ success in school. The campus wide program consists of developmentally appropriate activities and materials that deal with educational, personal, and social development. Classroom guidance is offered each week and teaches Character First components. Students participate in classroom lessons targeting social skills training and empathic understanding. Students are taught social skills problems solving through the Kelso’s Choice Program. We also focus on fueling our ride through life with positive energy to find the strength to overcome any challenges, through the book The Energy Bus for Kids by Jon Gordon.
Barnes also has the wonderful opportunity to be involved with the Kid's Hope USA mentoring program. Ella Barnes Elementary School has developed a partnership with Yorktown Baptist Church through KIDS HOPE USA- a program that trains caring older teens and adults how to befriend children and help them learn.
I hope that you find the information on this page useful. If at any time you should need to contact me, I would love to hear from you!
School Counselor’s Creed
>Barnes' counselor values each and every student that walks through our doors, so I will:
- Communicate to every student I meet that each is special.
- Help them solve problems and try to find a solution.
- Encourage and support all students.
- Be there when they need someone to listen.
- Help them see the value in themselves.
- Believe in students’ dreams and persist in assisting them to imagine what some say is impossible.
- See miracles that they perform in everyday tasks at home and at school
- Remind the students that they can get along with each other no matter what the problem.
- Give the students I meet each day a chance to be happy, successful, and caring people.
- Love the students always.